Welcome

Everyday our lives are so busy with so many obligations. For example, those of us that are married, need time with our spouses to cultivate a relationship that will last. Then there are the needs of our children, the pets, the household chores, other relationships (family and friends), work, church activities, social functions, and school work, etc. How do we manage all these demands and still find the time to pray and read God's word so that our spiritual man can be fed and grow stronger. This is one of the questions that I always ask myself. I hope this blog will help make it easier to balance our busy lives so that we can make the time needed to be the person that God desires us to be. May I be a blessing to you.

The Sand Dollar Legend

The Sand Dollar Legend
Upon this odd-shaped seashell a legend grand is told, about the life of Jesus, that wondrous tale of old. At its center you will see, there seems to be a star, like the one that led the shepherds and wise men from afar. Around its surface are the marks of nails and thorns and spear, suffered by Christ upon the cross; the wounds show plainly here. But there is also an Easter lily, clear for us to see, the symbol of Christ's resurrection for all eternity.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Rivers in the Desert

A few years ago when God pulled me away from everything that was familiar to me and placed me in a new place that appeared to be desolate, I asked Him why have you seen fit to bring me to this desert-like place where I am a stranger among strangers, and nothing I see is something I have known before? Why Lord are you allowing this drastic change in my life?

This was the inner response that I received, "I am taking you to a place where the people you will meet are not your own, where everything will be unfamiliar, so that there I can plant you and there you will bloom like an exotic flower in the desert"

With these few words, I caught a glimpse into what God had planned for me. I saw a desert place that no matter where I looked, the sand dunes, etc. were endless but in the middle of that vastness, I saw a single exotic flower planted and being sustained by an underground water source that flowed like a river around it, allowing the flower to be alive and full of blossoms. Despite, the arid conditions, this exotic flower thrived and provided the beauty that this desert place was missing.

At the time that God revealed this to me, I could not see how He would take the mess that I had made of my life and make something beautiful. I was going through a period of brokenness, loneliness, disappointment and disillusion. Nothing I had done in the past was working. It seemed as if the old ways were no longer sufficient to sustain me. I decided to trust God, because there was nowhere else to go, but to Him.

Since then many years have passed and I have continuously seen God restore and cultivate a beautiful garden out of my life that has bloomed and blessed others. In John 7:38 it states that "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." In believing what God said about my life, I allowed Him the access He needed to transform my life. Day by day, as I placed myself in His hands, He began to remove the dead roots that prevented new growth. As I read His word and prayed for His guidance, He was able to renew my mind and restore me from a young seedling that lacked the fullness of the living water to a tree planted by the rivers of water (Psalm 1: 1-3). He made the difference and showed me a new way. I could not have done it on my own.

God told the prophet Isaiah, "Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. The beast of the field shall honour me, the dragons and the owls: because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen. This people have I formed for myself; they shall shew forth my praise (Isaiah 43:18-21).

We need to put aside the former things in our lives that hold us captive and remind ourselves that we belong to Him and He wants to do a new thing in our lives that will transform us even if we find ourselves in desert places. He is the living water and He is able to change us into the strong trees that will have deep roots connected to the water source. All we have to do is begin to drink and allow the refreshing to begin so that we will grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment